WorkCycles Fr8 Cross-Frame
The Fr8 (pr. ‘Freight’) is a modular, heavy-duty transport bike, designed and built by the WorkCycles team in Amsterdam.
It is one of our most versatile bikes, and so alongside its Family Configuration, it also comes in a City Configuration, and a Cargo Configuration. More information about the bike’s many distinctive features and applications can be found on our blog.
As a Family bike, the Fr8 is truly outstanding; designed from the tyres up to deal with the demands of parents, the safety of children, and the rigours of daily life, this is one dedicated WorkCycle.
The Cross-Frame version of this bike is recommended for taller riders, and is best suited to those between 175-210cm in height. The patented Adaptive Seat Tube technology means that the same bike can be quickly adjusted to fit other tall people without compromising the bike’s excellent ergonomics. If you are tall enough, and are not adverse to the raised step-over height, the Cross-Frame is an ultra-strong and subtly elegant bike that is as easy-riding as it is good-looking.
Equipping the bike with its special, long rear rack means that it can accommodate either one child seat and large panniers, or even seating for two kids. The rack and frame have fixing points for two sets of footrests, so any combination could be feasible.
Towards the cockpit, there’s plenty of knee room for peddling, even if the bike is fitted with a front child seat. By adding a front rack, the bike’s cargo capacity essentially doubles, and you’ll wonder how you lived without it! Once the kids are old enough to ride their own bikes, simply remove the child seats and you’re left with a great city/utility bike that can be adjusted to comfortably fit a range of riders.
Nifty WorkCycles features such as the ingenious ‘Escape Hatch’ make it easy to replace things like the rear tyre, inner tube, or rollerbrake without opening the chaincase or having to adjusting any of the Fr8’s more fiddly parts. Moreover, the enclosed gears, brakes, and drivetrain keep all of the bike’s more sensitive components well protected from the weather, meaning that you can more or less forget about maintenance and just enjoy years of reliable service.
Short of going the whole hog and getting a bakfiets, the WorkCycles Fr8 is about as good as it gets so far as family bikes go. From the rust protected 4130 chromoly frame to the specially made wheels and super fat tyres, this bike is certifiably bomb-proof; in our experience, there really is no bike even close to as tough as the Fr8.
- Errands/general utility
- Child transport
- One parent, up to three kids, and a whole load of groceries!
- Total of about 250kg
- ‘Adaptive Seat Tube‘ adjustable for riders 175-210cm
- TIG welded Chromoly frame and fork
- Tough powdercoat ensures protection from rust
- Ultra strong wheels with 13g stainless steel spokes
- Schwalbe Big Ben tyres with Kevlar antiflat technology
- Reliable Shimano front roller brake
- LED lighting system powered by hub dynamo
- Full chaincase to protect the drivetrain for minimal maintenance
- Stainless steel mudguards, polished or powdercoated
- All hardware (including stem and handlebar) is stainless steel
The versatility of the Fr8 knows no bounds, and so there really are too many options to mention. Below are some examples that might be recommended for a city bike…
- Medium or long rear rack
- A set of Clarijs panniers to increase the bike’s utility
- City front rack
- Hebie bipod stand and steering stabiliser
- Custom, laser-cut nameplate on frame
- Gearing can be single speed, 2-speed, 3-speed, 8-speed, or use the NuVinci CVT system
- Custom colours (from the RAL range) on all painted parts
- This bike can easily and discretely be converted into an e-bike. Find out more about Schachner MM15 Brushless Mid-Mounted Motor by clicking here.
Prices starting from: £ 945.72
For some more information see:
Pricing Sheet for WorkCycles Fr8 – 2016