WorkCycles Fr8 Family Bike
The WorkCycles Fr8 (pr. ‘Freight’) is a modular, heavy-duty family transport bike, designed and built by the WorkCycles team in Amsterdam.
It is one of our most versatile bikes, and so alongside its Family Configuration, it also comes in a City Configuration, and a Cargo Configuration. More information about the bike’s many distinctive features and applications can be found on the WorkCycles blog.
As a family bike, the Fr8 is truly outstanding; designed from the tyres up to deal with the demands of parents, the safety of children, and the rigours of daily life. This is one dedicated WorkCycle!
Thoughtful features like the frame’s Adaptive Seat Tube mean that the same bike can be easily adjusted to fit riders from 160cm right up to 200cm. This is ideal when sharing between partners of different heights, or when considering its potential resale value (not that you would ever want to part with it!).
Equipping the WorkCycles Fr8 family bike with a long rear rack means that it can accommodate two children, or one child and a set of panniers.
Towards the cockpit, there’s plenty of knee-room for peddling, even if the bike is fitted with a front child seat. By adding a front rack, the Fr8’s cargo capacity essentially doubles, and you’ll wonder how you lived without it. Once the kids are old enough to ride their own bikes, simply remove the child seats and you are left with a great city/utility bike that can be adjusted to comfortably fit a range of riders.
Nifty WorkCycles features such as the ingenious ‘Escape Hatch’ make it easy to replace things like the rear tyre, inner tube, or rollerbrake without opening the chaincase or having to adjusting any of the Fr8’s more fiddly parts. Moreover, the enclosed gears, brakes, and drivetrain keep all of the bike’s more sensitive components totally protected from the weather, meaning that you can more or less forget about maintenance and just enjoy years of reliable service.
Short of going the whole hog and getting a bakfiets, the WorkCycles Fr8 is about as good as it gets in the world of family bikes. From the rust protected 4130 chromoly frame, to the specially made wheels and super fat tyres, this bike is certifiably bomb-proof; in our experience, there really is nothing even close to as tough as the WorkCycles Fr8 family bike.
- Errands/general utility
- Child transport
- One parent, up to three kids, and a whole load of groceries!
- Total payload of ~250kg
- ‘Adaptive Seat Tube‘ adjustable for riders 160-200cm
- TIG welded Chromoly frame and fork
- Tough powdercoat ensures protection from rust
- Ultra strong wheels with 13g stainless steel spokes
- Schwalbe Big Apple tyres with Kevlar antiflat technology
- Reliable Shimano front roller brake
- LED lighting system powered by hub dynamo
- Full chaincase to protect the drivetrain for minimal maintenance
- Stainless steel mudguards, polished or powdercoated
- All hardware (including stem and handlebar) is stainless steel
The versatility of the Fr8 knows no bounds, and so there really are too many options to mention. Below are some examples that might be recommended for a city bike…
- Medium or long rear rack
- A set of Clarijs panniers to increase the bike’s utility
- City front carrier
- Hebie/Ursus bipod stand and steering stabiliser
- Custom, laser-cut nameplate on frame
- Gearing can be single-speed, 2-speed, 3-speed, 8-speed, or use the NuVinci CVT system
- Custom colours (from the RAL range) on all painted parts
- This bike can easily and discretely be converted into an e-bike. Find out more about Schachner MM15 Brushless Mid-Mounted Motor by clicking here.
Prices starting from: £ 1179.00
For some more information see:
Pricing Sheet for WorkCycles Fr8 – 2018