The Airo is the most high-tech cargo bike made by the legendary Bakfiets.nl company. In their own words, they describe it as being for people who are seeking “the best of the best” (“het beste van het beste”), and to some extent we are tempted to agree with them. The Airo makes extensive use of a high-grade aluminium alloy, and can be paired up with some fantastic components that up until now haven’t really been seen on a lot of cargo bikes.
The Airo by-passes the usual 3-speed and 7-speed gearing options and instead offers the premium version of the Shimano Nexus 8-speed hub as its ‘basic’ configuration. Upgrades in this department include the fantastic Shimano Alfine 11-speed hub, and the frankly astonishing Rohloff Speedhub with its 14 gears and 526% range.
Shimano’s Alfine hydraulic disc brakes are also a possible upgrade option for the Airo, though you will have to decide for yourself whether the extra stopping power is worth the extra maintenance cost when compared to the fit-and-forget Shimano IM81 rollerbrakes. If neither of those braking systems are to your taste, then we also offer the powerful Magura hydraulic V-brakes as an alternative.
We understand that it must be difficult to appreciate how a bike as big as the Airo could be as nimble and fun to ride as we say it is, so we recommend that you make an appointment for a test ride and find out for yourself!
- Approximately 80kg up front
- Somewhere between 20-40kg on the rear
(depending on which rack you choose)
- One size fits all
- Any colour you like, so long as it’s black!
- And silver, we can also do the Airo in silver
- Schwalbe Marathon tyres
- Shimano hub dynamo
- Hand-operated brakes
- Extra wide and super strong parking stand
- A mixture of stainless steel and aluminium hardware
- Shimano 8-speed, 11-speed, or Rohloff 14-speed
- Shimano IM80 and IM81 rollerbrakes, as well as Magura hydraulic V-brakes and Alfine hydraulic disc brakes are all possible options for the Bakfiets Airo
- Wooden or aluminium crate
- Axa rear wheel lock with 1.4m plug-in chain
- Dynamo-powered Busch and Müller lights
- Brooks aged saddle and handlebar grips
- Clarijs box cover/canopy/panniers in matching colours
- For more options, see our Accessories Boutique.
- This bike easily and discretely be made into an e-bike. Read more about our electric upgrade options
- For more details see Pricing Sheet for Bakfiets.nl Airo
Prices starting from: £ 2,399.26